<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Are We Happy Yet?  



He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver; nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity. Ecclesiastes 5:10 (NKJV)

While going through some boxes of notes, papers, and "stuff" I've accumulated over the last 20 years, I found a clipping from the January 14, 1979 edition of Parade magazine. Under "Words to Ponder," there appeared a quotation attributed to Abd-er-Rahman III of Spain, c. 960. Here 'tis:

I have reigned about 50 years in victory or peace, beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure, have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting my felicity. In this situation I have diligently numbered the days of pure genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot: they amount to fourteen.
Fourteen "happy days" out of 18,250. Amazing!

There's this little, nagging thought that follows us through life--the suggestion that, "if I only had this, or that, or the other thing, then I'd be happy." Yet, there have been those who seemingly "had it all," and came to discover that true happiness is not found in fame or fortune. That's a lesson worth remembering as we journey through this world to the next.

think on these things...

Luke 12:15-21 (NLT)
Then he [Jesus] said, "Beware! Don't be greedy for what you don't have. Real life is not measured by how much we own." And he gave an illustration: "A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. In fact, his barns were full to overflowing. So he said, 'I know! I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store everything. And I'll sit back and say to myself, My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!' But God said to him, 'You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get it all?' Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God."

1 Timothy 6:6-11 (NKJV)
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

Hebrews 11:24-26 (NLT)
It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be treated as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to share the oppression of God's people instead of enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin. He thought it was better to suffer for the sake of the Messiah than to own the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking ahead to the great reward that God would give him.

Matthew 5:6-10 (LVB)
"Happy are those who long to be just and good, for they shall be completely satisfied. Happy are the kind and merciful, for they shall be shown mercy. Happy are those whose hearts are pure, for they shall see God. Happy are those who strive for peace--they shall be called the sons of God. Happy are those who are persecuted because they are good, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?