<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Searching for the REAL Santa Claus 



As I waited for the green arrow so I could complete my left turn onto Krafft Road, I noticed the big electronic message sign in front of Walgreens Drugstore.

The glowing red LED's said it all -- "Santa will be here today!"

Wow! How in the world did our Ft. Gratiot, Michigan Walgreens arrange that?

When I was kid, the REAL Santa Claus could only be found in one place -- Smith-Bridgman's Department store in Flint, Michigan. (I just read that fellow Flint native Michael Moore, of "Roger and Me" fame, mistakenly thought the REAL Santa made his holiday home at the Fourth Avenue Sears store. Sorry, Michael -- maybe that's where all the confusion began.)

Just like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story", we would make our way downtown to Santa's Wonderland to experience the excitement and joy of seeing the jolly old guy in person, tell him what we wanted for Christmas, assure him we'd been good, and get our picture taken to preserve the magical moment.

But other stores decided they wanted Santa, too.

Send in the clones.

Now, how can Santa Claus be at Smith-Bridgman's, Sears, and Montgomery Ward at the same time? That's just not possible! We've got scheduling problems here, folks -- any kid can figure that out.

Will the REAL Santa please stand up?

Actually, the Walgreen's sign got me thinking about the REAL JESUS.

It reminded me of something He said before He left this planet to return to His heavenly home -- "Be on the lookout for counterfeit Christs" (my translation).

Truth is, everyone who dresses up, talks like, and calls himself "The Anointed One", isn't.

In a season when people will try to get you to buy all sorts of things you don't need, I offer this reminder -- accept no substitutes. There's nothing like the REAL thing!

Oh...and just to set your mind at ease, I haven't believed in Santa Claus for some time now. However, I did visit Santa Claus's Naughty or Nice website to see where I stood with him -- just in case.

Here's what I found:

Randy Gearhart -- "Nice," but you'd better watch out! I'm checking my list (twice!) and I see that the manners sometimes slip a bit. Please remember to say "thank you" especially in a season when people are giving gifts and doing such nice things. Good work brushing those teeth! Floss regularly and you'll earn extra "Nice" points!

That reminds me -- I've got a dentist appointment in a couple of weeks.

think on these things...

Matthew 24:3-5 (NKJV)
Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?'' And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, `I am the Christ,' and will deceive many."

Revelation 22:12 (NKJV)
"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work."

P.S. Looks like somebody is making a list!

He sees you when you're sleeping,
He knows when you're awake,
He knows when you've been bad or good,
So be good for Jesus' sake!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?