<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 25, 2004

What Does the Word Say? 



Acts 17:10-11 (NLT)
That very night the believers sent Paul and Silas to Berea. When they arrived there, they went to the synagogue. And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to check up on Paul and Silas, to see if they were really teaching the truth.

In 1974, a year after my wife and I gave our lives to Jesus, we traveled with a group of 30 or so people from Calvary United Methodist Church in Flint, Michigan, to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We went to attend the Greater Pittsburgh Charismatic Conference, which was held on the campus of Duquesne University. We joined 10,000 others (mostly Catholic charismatics), who came from around the country to experience this outpouring of God's Spirit.

This was all new to Debbi and me. The next few days would be a time of discovering, learning, growing, and soaking in the presence of God. There were morning and afternoon classes offered each day, and Debbi and I picked out a few that sounded interesting to us.

One of our classes was held in the university chapel. Our teacher was a young minister from Los Angeles, California, named Frederick K.C. Price. Fred took his place at the lectern, held his Bible high in the air, and said, "Has everybody got a Bible? If you've got a Bible, hold it up--now wave it around!"

Well, I didn't have a Bible. What did I need a Bible for? Carrying a Bible wasn't something we did in the church I was raised in. It didn't take long to realize, however, that I was one the only ones in the room that didn't have a Bible. As everyone else wildly waved their Bibles in the air, Fred said, "Well, if you don't have a Bible, you're a big dummy!"

You Talkin' to Me?

Yes, Fred was talking to me. Fred made his point--and I got it! Ouch! After the meeting, I headed to the conference hall and bought myself a brand new, simulated leather-bound Bible. There was absolutely no way I was going back to Fred's class empty-handed!

One of the other classes we attended was taught by Robert Frost (no, not that Robert Frost). Robert was a somewhat shy, soft-spoken guy--the total opposite of Fred, who was bold and brash. As different as these two Bible teachers were, I liked them both, and looked forward to their classes each day.

As the week progressed, however, a disagreement arose between Fred and Robert over an interpretation of Scripture. They ended up verbally attacking one another from their respective classroom platforms. I can't remember what the particular problem was, but their heated exchanges became the talk of the conference. I was troubled by the controversy.

After our last class of the day, Debbi and I headed back to the dormitory to get ready for dinner. I can still remember how upset I was over this matter, as I paced the floor of our room. Totally frustrated, I said to Debbi, "Fred says one thing, and Robert says something different--who are we supposed to believe?!"

My question hung in the air, and then Debbi calmly replied, "Well, what does the Word say?"

Good answer.

What Does the Word Say?

I was watching a popular television preacher recently, and heard him make a statement that was clearly contrary to Scripture. Yet, the congregation gave their corporate approval, saying "Amen!" to the preacher's word. It made me so mad, I wanted to throw something at the T.V..

We've got to do better than this, people. We need to be like those folks in Berea, who "searched the Scriptures daily" to see whether or not Paul's teaching was true. I'm not saying we should be suspicious of everything we hear, but we need to get into the habit of going to God's Word for ourselves and checking things out. We will either be convinced of the truthfulness of the teaching, or discover the error. The Word of God is the standard--it is the rule--it is the judge--it is the final authority.

So, when you're confused and don't know what to believe, ask yourself, "what does the Word say?" And if you don't know what the Word says, go find out!

think on these things...

Proverbs 14:14 (NLT)
Only simpletons believe everything they are told! The prudent carefully consider their steps.

2 Timothy 3:16,17 (NLT)
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?