<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 28, 2003

"You're Never Too Old to Learn" 



Kenneth E. Hagin founded RHEMA Bible Training Center in 1974, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I attended the second year of the school and graduated in 1976. After graduation, my wife, Debbi, and I spent the next 2 1/2 years ministering in southern Georgia. In the fall of 1978, we returned to Oklahoma, where I joined the RHEMA faculty, and served as an instructor until the spring of 1981.

As many of you know, Kenneth Hagin went home to be with the Lord on September 19, 2003, after working in Christian ministry for nearly 70 years. I attended the memorial service for Brother Hagin, which was held Wednesday, September 24th, RHEMA's campus, in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

The service was a wonderful tribute to a humble man of God. As ministers, family members, and friends shared their thoughts and memories of Brother Hagin, I, too, recalled some experiences I had with him. One memory in particular, has stayed with me more than 20 years now.

I was working in my office one afternoon, when Brother Hagin stopped by and asked if I'd heard anything from Rodney Lloyd, an instructor who had recently left the school to pastor a church in Michigan. I said that I'd talked with him, and he was doing fine. Brother Hagin nodded his head and said, "Good, good." He then turned and continued down the hall, and I returned to the papers on my desk.

A few moments later, I sensed someone's presence, and looked up to see Brother Hagin back at my door.

He looked at me and said, "I just felt I was supposed to come back and tell you that I love you. The Lord's been dealing with me that I need to let people know that I love them more." And then, somewhat embarrassingly, he added, "I guess you're never too old to learn."

With teary eyes, I thanked him, and he went on his way. After he left, I sat at my desk and thought, "Here's a man who's been in ministry nearly 50 years, and he's still learning. Where does that leave me?"

Brother Hagin's words were a reality check for that 30-year-old 'kid', as they are for this 53-year-old 'kid', today. I've come to realize, that as much as I know, I don't know it all -- there's still a lot to learn.

So, regardless of your age, you'd do well to remember Brother Hagin's words, too: "You're never too old to learn."

think on these things...

Philippians 3:12 (NLT)
I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be.

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
-- Abigail Adams (1744 - 1818)

The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable. Favorable conditions never come.
-- C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
-- Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

Nourish the mind like you would your body. The mind cannot survive on junk food.
-- Jim Rohn

Proverbs 1:7 (NLT)
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Only fools despise wisdom and discipline.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?