<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 15, 2003

When In Doubt, Check It Out! 


If you've spent any time on the Internet, you've probably received emails that warn of all sorts of dangers, threats, or increasingly, attacks on our Christian faith and values.

I received such an email today, alerting me to a marketing plan that cola maker, Pepsi, is supposedly proposing. Here's an excerpt:

DON'T BUY PEPSI IN THE NEW CAN

Pepsi has a new "patriotic" can coming out with pictures of the Empire State Bldg. and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. But, Pepsi left out two little words on the pledge, "Under God."

Pepsi said they did not want to offend anyone. If this is true then we do not want to offend anyone at the Pepsi corporate office. If we do not buy any Pepsi product then they will not receive any of our monies. Our money after all does have the words "Under God" on it.

Please pass this word to everyone you know--let your voices be heard. We want the words "Under God" to be read.


Now, the first thing I do when I receive one of these questionable letters, is run a search in Google to see if I can verify the facts.

For this one, I entered: 'pepsi can under God urban legend'. My search returned a number of pages on the subject. I went here, and found the information I needed. Just to be sure, I checked a couple of other sites, also, and found there's no truth to this rumor.

I did find this interesting article from Focus on the Family, Invasion of the Urban Legends, that's worth reading. It appears in 'Breakaway', their online magazine for teenage boys.

In the past, I've forwarded some of these urban legends, rumors, and internet hoaxes, only find out later that I was 'perpetuating a lie.' Well, I don't like that feeling. So now I try to check these things out before I pass them along -- and I encourage you to check them out, too.

Truth Or Fiction and About.com are good resources for current Internet hoax and rumor information.

On a technical note, you can make your searches easier by installing Google Toolbar on your web browser. The toolbar works with Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP. It also includes a pop-up blocker if you're using Internet Explorer 5.5 or later. It's free!

think on these things...

Deuteronomy 19:15 (NLT)
"Never convict anyone of a crime on the testimony of just one witness. The facts of the case must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Psalm 15:1-3 (NLT)
Who may worship in your sanctuary, Lord? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill? Those who lead blameless live and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts. Those who refuse to slander others or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends.

Mark 4:23,24 (NLT)
Anyone who is willing to hear should listen and understand! And be sure to pay attention to what you hear. The more you do this, the more you will understand -- and even more, besides.

Proverbs 14:15
Only simpletons believe everything they are told! The prudent carefully consider their steps.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?