<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 18, 2003

Look Up! 


Here's an excerpt from an Amazon.com editorial review for a new book of letters written by former President Ronald Reagan. The book is titled: "Reagan: A Life in Letters", edited by Kiron K. Skinner and Annelise and Martin Anderson (Free Press).

"Ronald Reagan may have been the most prolific correspondent of any American president since Thomas Jefferson. The total number of letters written over his lifetime probably exceeds 10,000. Their breadth is equally astonishing -- with friends and family, with politicians, children, and other private citizens, Reagan was as dazzling a communicator in letters as he was in person. Collectively, his letters reveal his character and thinking like no other source. He made candid, considerate, and tough statements that he rarely made in a public speech or open forum. He enjoyed responding to citizens, and comforting or giving advice or encouragement to friends. Now, the most astonishing of his writings, culled in "Reagan: A Life in Letters," finally and fully reveal the true Ronald Reagan."

The following quote is from one of those letters -- one that President Reagan had written to an old friend. It contains a lesson worth remembering on those days we find ourselves searching for answers to the questions of life, and looking for help in our time of need.

"During my first months in office, when day after day there were decisions that had to be made, I had an almost irresistible urge -- really a physical urge -- to look over my shoulder for someone I could pass the problem on to. Then without my quite knowing how it happened, I realized I was looking in the wrong direction. I started looking up instead and have been doing so for quite a while now."

What Are YOU Looking At?

Toward the end of the worship service this past Wednesday night at Life of Faith Fellowship, just as I was getting ready to teach God's Word, I had a strong impression that there were many in the congregation facing difficult situations and dealing with overwhelming problems.

I felt that some of them, however, were looking to things other than God for their deliverance.

As we continued to worship, I sensed God was reminding all of us that we need to keep our eyes and our hope on Him -- and Him alone.

I recall a time back in the late '70's, when I was traveling from our home in Tifton, Georgia to minister to a small group of believers in Arlington, Georgia. While driving along the two-lane road on my way to this little country town, God asked me a question...

"Why are you going to this meeting?"

Well, a "spiritual" answer would sound something like...

"I'm going to share the Word of God with these people who are hungry to know You."

But God knew the motive of my heart. As soon as He asked the question, I knew exactly what he was getting at.

You see, the last couple of times I'd gone over to minister to this group, there was a particular man present -- a southern Georgia plantation owner -- who had put a $100 check in the little basket they passed around at the end of the meeting to receive a love offering for me.

Honestly, at that time in our life, $100 was like $1,000.

At the very moment I was wondering whether or not this guy was going to be there that night, the question came crashing through...

"Why are you going to this meeting?"

I was busted!

I was going to Arlington hoping to pick up my $100 check.

"Wrong...you are the Weakest Link -- goodbye!"

But wait -- may I try again?

(Thank God for second -- and third, and fourth, and fifth -- chances.)

Immediately, I repented of my misplaced faith, and said in my heart, "I'm going to share Your Word with these people -- and it doesn't matter if I receive any offering tonight. I'm trusting You to supply all of our needs."

I said it -- and I meant it.

Ding, ding, ding, ding ding! We have a winner!

I realized that I had stopped looking to God as my Source, and instead, I had placed my hope in that little wicker basket and a generous Southern gentleman.

That lesson -- learned on the Georgia back roads -- has stuck with me all these years, and has served as a reminder to always keep my eyes on -- and my faith and hope in -- God.

So I ask you, "Who are you looking to for your deliverance?"

Maybe you need to stop looking around -- and start looking up!

____________________________________________________

think on these things...

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day, Nor the moon by night.
The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.
The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in From this time forth and forever."

-- Psalm 121: 1-8 (NAS)

"It is better to trust the Lord
than to put confidence in people.

-- Psalm 118:8 (NLT)

"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

-- Philippians 4:19 (NAS)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?